The FA Respect Programme
Respect is the collective responsibility of everyone in football to create a fair, safe and enjoyable environment in which the game can take place.
It is the behavioural code for football.
Respect is a continuous FA programme, not a one-off initiative.
What do we want to achieve with Respect?
- There will be a ‘step change‘ in youth football on what is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour from parents, spectators and coaches.
- We will work with coaches to create an enjoyable learning environment for children’s football.
- There will be a base of registered referees in England sufficient for the demands of the game at every level.
- There will be zero tolerance for assaults on referees.
- There will be an improvement in on-field player discipline, particularly in the area of dissent to referees and in competitions that have an established record of poor discipline.
The most important message of the Respect programme is that real and lasting change will come about not through the intervention of the Football Authorities but from everyone in football taking collective responsibility to promote what is good in the game and deal with that which diminishes it.